Are you curious about SGX? What is it all about? How does it work? Get answers to your questions as we discuss more of it.
Investing has been catching the attention of Singaporeans nowadays. Singapore Exchange has finally introduced a minimum trading price (MTP) for Mainboard companies. As a result, more investors can now access SGX. If you are a beginner, here are some things you should know.
SGX Singapore Exchange Ltd
On 1 December 1999, the SGX was founded as a holding company. Eventually, it took over the stocks of the Stock Exchange of Singapore (SES), Singapore International Monetary Exchange (Simex) and Securities Clearing and Computer Services Pte Ltd (SCCS). Then, SGX issued SGX shares to the existing shareholders of the three companies.
SGX provides depository, listing, clearing, trading, settlement, and data services. Also, it has 90% of listed bonds and 40% of listed companies outside Singapore. Therefore, SGX is the most internationally connected exchange.
SGX Singapore Stock Exchange Prices
The Market Price is the most current price of the asset or service. It can either be sold or bought. Also, it is greatly dependent on the supply and demand forces involved in the market. Therefore, the price depends on how the traders, dealers and investors interact. Furthermore, the difference between the bid and ask is called the spread. The more buyers, the higher will be the bid due to increased demand.
Moreover, the trade involves selling and buying. The traders buy the stock from the dealers. However, this does not necessarily mean that the dealers own the stock. Often, the dealer only represents other traders who specify the order limit. The dealer logs the order in the order book until the market finally reaches the order price. Then, the dealer will execute the order. In addition, the dealer can quote the market price with the bid and ask price. The ask is always higher than the bid. Why? The asking price will be the selling price, while the bid is the buying price.
Straits Times Index (STI) keeps track of the market capitalisation of the SGX top 30 companies.
Performance of Top 30 companies for the past 5 Years according to market price:
SGX Academy Singapore
SGX gives education and professional training to investors at various levels. It ranges from beginners to professionals. In addition, it aims to provide investors with the right knowledge to enhance their capabilities to be traders.
Also, SGX Academy continuously creates programmes and E-trainings. Plus, you can watch videos for free basic e-training on sgxacademy.com.
For beginner investors, SGX teaches the fundamentals of investing. The Intermediate Investors can learn the various investing methods and instruments they can utilise. Also, SGX has other programmes for savvy investors. These are lessons on instruments and techniques they can use to future grow their investments.
SGX News Singapore
SGXNews via XML
Corporate statements and actions are delivered in real-time through the client’s system interface. In addition, it helps the clients understand the news and quickly get the most important information. Also, the statements have integrated a consistent structure in ISO20022 standard format. This way, it can spread crucial information quickly to concerned investors and traders. Moreover, it is ideal for information vendors, institutions, trading firms and independent software vendors.
SGXNews via SWIFT Network
SGXnews utilises the SWIFT Network using ISO15022 standards to keep clients aware of corporate events. Furthermore, broadcasting 37 different types of corporate action events assists the end-users in processing their market events accurately. Plus, it ultimately lessens the operational risks. Thus, making it ideal for wealth managers and central securities depository/custodian service providers.
SGXNews – EOD Corporate Actions
The design supports the client’s Straight Through Processing (STP) environment. As a result, data dissemination can be very cost-effective. Plus, it is delivered through e-mails. Moreover, it is for those not using the SWIFT. In addition, it is for anyone who wants to get the golden information. Plus, it can potentially affect their portfolio.
SGX Catalist Board Singapore Stock Exchange
Catalist companies are directly under the supervision of sponsors. These are experienced companies in corporate finance. In addition, the catalyst has been created to support companies seeking to be fast-growing enterprises. Therefore, qualified sponsors present the initial list of the Catalist through an initial public offering (IPO). In short, the sponsors create the list using their criteria.
Catalist Listing Requirements
Review of Listing Documents
Sponsor & SGX
SGX requires no minimum quantitative criteria. Sponsors will use their own house deal selection criteria. However, an adequate amount of Indicated Resources for a minerals company and Contingent Resources for an Oil & Gas company are required.
Admission standards for MOG listing aspirants that are not in production
Also, a MOG listing aspirant that is not in production seeking a listing has to satisfy the following conditions
- Discloses its plans, milestones and capital expenditure to advance to the production stage
Requirements for all MOG companies
- Have at least achieved Indicated Resources (for Minerals). Or secure Contingent Resources (for Oil & Gas)
- Have sufficient working capital for 18 months from listing
- 15% of post-invitation share capital in public hands;
- Minimum 200 shareholders.
2 independent directors. It must have a minimum of 1 Singapore resident independent director for Foreign Companies.
- At the time of IPO, if promoters hold more than 50% of the post-invitation share capital, they may sell. But must retain at least 50%. If they hold less than 50% of the post-invitation share capital at IPO, they may not sell any;
- After IPO, promoters cannot sell their shareholdings for 6 months. However, they may sell up to 50% of their shareholdings after that for the next 6 months;
- For Pre-IPO investors who acquired their shares within the 12 months before IPO. Also, the “profit portion” of their shareholdings is subjected to a moratorium period of 12 months after IPO;
- Promoters of a MOG company are not to sell any of their shareholdings for 12 months after IPO. But, they may sell up to 50% of their shareholdings for the next 6 months.
- Offer Document;
- Include a 12-month working capital sufficiency statement from the issuer’s directors and Sponsor;
- Lodged on SGX Catalodge website.
Singapore, US or International Accounting Standards
At the discretion of the issuer
No requirement for operations in Singapore
- Rules relating to disclosure of material information, periodic reporting, additional share issuance, corporate transactions, corporate governance guidelines, interested person transaction and free float will apply.
- The additional requirement to retain a Sponsor at all times will apply to Catalist companies.
Variable Rate Per S$ million
Variable Rate Per S$ million
SGX Singapore Address
2 Shenton Way,
#02-02 SGX Centre 1,
11 North Buona
#06-07 The Metropolis Tower 2,
Tel. +65 6236 8888
Fax. +65 6535 6994
9 North Buona Vista Drive
#01-19/20 The Metropolis
Tel. +65 6535 7511
Fax. +65 6535 0775
No. 6 Wudinghou Street, Excel Centre,
Unit 1905-A Xicheng District,
Beijing 100032, China
Tel: +86 10 6629 0660
Fax: +86 10 6629 0110
No. 168 Yincheng Zhong Road,
Room 25 and 26, 21F, Bank of Shanghai Tower,
Pudong Shanghai 200120, China
Tel: +86 21 5116 7230
Fax: +86 21 5116 7116
Europe & N.America
12 Floor, 30 Crown Place,
London EC2A 4EB
Tel: +44 207 856 2507
Unit 12B, 12/F
No. 33 Des Voeux Road Central
Tel:+852 2236 3000
The HUB 17th Floor, Tower 2B,
One India Bulls Centre,
Senapati Bapat Marg,
Tel: + 22 6189 9845
Fax: +22 6189 9900
Level 27, Shiroyama Trust Tower,
4-3-1 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Tel: +81 3 5403 4680
Fax: +81 3 5403 4646
SGX Customer Service
Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5.00 pm
Saturday 9.00am to 12.30pm
Closed on Sundays & Public Holidays (65) 6535 7511
SGX CDP Customer Service
Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5.00 pm
Saturday 9.00am to 12.30pm
Closed on Sundays & Public Holidays
SGX Singapore Careers
SSGX is currently in need of individuals who can fill in the spot of the following positions.
- Assistant Vice President, Business Planning and Analysis (6 months contract)
- Assistant Vice President/ Vice President, Media Communications (9 Months Contract)
- Senior Associate/Assistant Vice President, Investor Services
- Client Manager for Institutional Brokers/Members
- Corporate Secretariat, Compliance & Risk Management Executive
- Customer Onboarding Specialist (12 months contract)
- Fixed Income Sales Specialist
- FX Specialist
- Head of Compliance
- Index Product Development
- Senior Associate, IT Auditor
- Senior Associate/ Assistant Vice President, Market Surveillance (DT)
- Vice President, Business Planning & Analysis
If you want to gain a wide exposure to SGX, potentially have an attachment with one of the senior management offices. Or you may get a chance to work with other SGX external industry partners. Then, you can join the SGX Management Associate Programme (Open Track). Although the industry is vast, you can use the program to know which area can be your niche. For example, you will have a task to participate in business projects and special assignments personally. In addition, you will delve into the perspective of the organisation and the financial industry.
A sample rotation schedule in the MA Programme (Open Track):
If you are a fresh graduate interested in capital marketing, you can try the SGX Management Associate (Technology Track) Programme. The 2-year rotation programme design gives you exposure to technical and business understanding of the company. With a senior manager as a mentor, you can have continuous personal guidance. The end of the program will put you in the best position suited for you. Just submit your resume and wait for the reply to enrol in the program.
If you want to invest in the Singapore Exchange, you have to get to know the basics. So enrol in the SGX academy and research online. It takes patience, time and money to get involved and start your journey as an investor. So there is no better time to start than now. Get a personal loan in Cash Mart and receive your cash within the day to finally make your first investment in SGX.