Updated 14 June 2017
Once again, Singapore topped the Economist Intelligence Unit’s pricing index.
The British news site, The Economist, named Singapore as the costliest city to live in. According to its Worldwide Cost of Living Survey, the city-state surpassed more than 130 cities based on a person’s needs from basic grocery commodities to the cost of transportation fares.
A basic lunch menu with drinks can cause USD 9, and an 8km taxi trip can also cause USD 9. Renting a 45m2 apartment can cause USD 2,108 a month, while utilities can average to USD 106 monthly.
Living in Singapore means that you can enjoy a life in a first world country with benefits of world-class transportation and living areas; However, you have to get a good job with stable pay to survive.
Share this Image On Your Site:
Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs in Singapore 2017
10. Legal Secretary
Salary Ranger per Month: SGD 4,000 – SGD 8,000 (USD 2,895 – USD 5,790)
Expected Tasks if You are Hired: Legal secretaries perform secretarial tasks in law offices. You are expected to write legal documents such as summons, and subpoenas, motions. You also have to do standard secretarial duties such as answering calls or emails, greeting clients, and transcribing data.
RELATED: Payday Loan in Singapore
09. Settlements Manager
Salary Range per Month: SGD 5,000 – SGD 8,300 (USD 3,619 – USD 6,008)
Expected Tasks if You are Hired: As a Settlement Manager in banking and finance industry, you will be required to facilitate treasury settlements, ensure accurate and reliable cash flow, as well as pool price forecast. To do this, you have to be responsible for managing staff in a fast-paced, detail oriented environment with strict deadlines.
08. Finance Manager
Salary Ranger per Month: SGD 5,500 – SGD 9,000 (USD 3,980 – USD 6,514)
Expected Tasks if You are Hired: Your tasks may range from interpreting cash flows to providing future expenditure plans. Yes, you need to predict the future trends through data analysis. As a financial adviser for a company, you need to be updated, farsighted, driven to expand the business.
07. Digital Marketing Manager
Salary Ranger per Month: SGD 6,000 – SGD 10,000 (USD 4,343 – USD 7,238)
Expected Tasks if You are Hired: You are expected to manage multiple campaigns using various digital marketing techniques such as paid SEO (Search Engine Optimization), social media, and well-designed websites. You have to bring relevant marketing developments to ensure that the company’s target clients are aware of the brand (and its products or services). Simply put, you need to squeeze your creative juices to entice new customers towards the brand you are promoting.
06. Finance Compliance Manager
Salary Range per Month: SGD 8,000 – SGD 10,000 (USD 5,790 – USD 7,238)
Expected Tasks if You are Hired: You must be up to date with all legal regulations that can affect your company. Then, you need to ensure that every staff complies with the new law through proper training and seminars. Seminars have to be met annually because no company wants to unknowingly cross the laws and get in trouble.
05. Quality Lead or Manager
Salary Ranger per Month: SGD 6,000 – SGD 10,000 (USD 4,343 – USD 7,238)
Expected Tasks if You are Hired: Are you a meticulous person? Quality managers ensure that the company meets customer expectations. The products or services provided must be consistent and should meet every laid out requirement. To do this, you have to set up and maintain control and documentary procedures.
04. IT Security Consultant
Salary Ranger per Month: SGD 7,000 – SGD 10,000 (USD 5,067 – USD 7,238)
Expected Tasks if You are Hired: Are you enticed with the cyber war against hackers? Data security is becoming more valuable than ever. Most companies rely on online systems, emails, and transactions. There are even businesses which process their clients’ requests and inquiries through their websites.
As this trend grows the demand for IT Security Consultants or Specialists increases. As an IT Security Consultant, you have to focus on understanding the risks to your company’s data. You need to analyze possible security breaches and strengthen the system to avoid it from happening.
03. Scientific and Regulatory Affairs Specialist or Manager
Salary Ranger per Month: SGD 4,000 – SGD 12,000 (USD 2,895 – USD 8,685)
Expected Tasks if You are Hired: Being a Scientific and Regulatory Affairs Specialist, you are expected to have vast knowledge on scientific, legal, and business issues. This is to ensure that any product developed, manufactured, or distributed by your company do not go beyond the bounds of the law.
People with this job usually have strong knowledge base and skill set in science, writing, and reading comprehension. They also have an in-depth understanding of the legal matters concerning the company. They are usually in the healthcare and pharmaceutical industry.
02. FinTech Developer
Salary Range per Month: SGD 7,500 – SGD 12,000 (USD 5,428 – USD 8,685)
Expected Tasks if You are Hired: You will need to design and develop financial application tools that will help individuals manage their finances in a breeze. As a financial tech developer, you have to foresee ways to make digital financial transactions easy and (of course) secured.
01. Finance Controller
Salary Ranger per Month: SGD 8,000 – SGD 15,000 (USD 5,790 – USD 10,857)
Expected Tasks if You are Hired: As the Finance Controller, you will be responsible for banking and finance activities, insurance recommendations and related purchases, proper reporting and payment to all taxing authorities, and corporate documentation. Simply, you need to ensure that proper accounting is done and your company is profitable.
These jobs have promising salary rates, although the tight competition will make them difficult to get. If you want to go to Singapore and get a job with higher chance to get hired, you better check the list of in-demand jobs. These jobs always have a lot of vacancies.
Most In-Demand Jobs in Singapore for 2017
This year was welcomed with high demands on:
- Service and Sales Workers hold 23.5% of job vacancies in Singapore. Shop sales assistants, receptionists, customer service, information clerks, and security guards are the most in demand. People who are looking for this job must have lower to secondary education level. Most of service and sales workers are paid SGD 3,000 (USD 2,171.40) a month.
- Associate Professionals and Technicians such as teaching and training professionals, software, web, and multimedia developers are the most sought-after employees in this category. Employers usually require specific work experience and a diploma.
- Cleaners, Laborers and Related Workers are jobs which are usually passed up due to the work environment, physical strain, and unattractive pay. There are more than 900 vacancies remaining for cleaners in some Singaporean establishments. One of the reasons is the low salary in this category which ranges from SGD 1,000 to SGD 2,800 (USD 723 to USD 2,024).
- Managers and Administrators are required to have specific job-related experience and a diploma. Singapore employers need more than 4,000 management executives, commercial and marketing sales managers, and other jobs in this category. One of the hindrances for filling in the job vacancies is the lack of qualified candidates.
- Clerical Support Workers have jobs generally related to assisting with how a company functions. They are under an administrative assistant and can be assigned with basic tasks such as answering calls and emails. This job category has around 3,000 job vacancies.
- Plant and Machine Operators and Assemblers are expected to operate and monitor industrial or agricultural motor vehicles and machinery. This involves physical strain which makes it unattractive especially to young workers. There are almost 3,000 job vacancies in this category.
- Craftsmen and Related Trades Workers takes up 3.8% of job vacancies in Singapore. There may be some employers who seem to offer unconducive working conditions.
According to Ministry of Manpower, the Services Industry has the most vacant jobs. A total of 83.5% of job vacancies is needed to be filled up. This includes accommodation, personal, and Food & Beverage Services.
Most Singaporeans would rather not take up these vacant jobs. Why?
Ministry of Manpower (MOM) shared these top reasons:
- They find the pay unattractive.
- They prefer shorter workweek.
- They think the job is physically strenuous.
- They prefer not to do shift work.
- They find that the working environment is not conducive for them.
- They find the image of the sector poor.
Since the listed in demand jobs in Singapore are less appealing to certain Singaporeans, this rises opportunities for foreigners to live in Singapore and find a job in these categories. People who are from third world countries would also get even the least paid jobs.
Salaries ranging from SGD 450 to SGD 1,835 may seem low for Singaporeans, but foreign employees consider this enough for them to send money back home to support their families.
Top 5 Least Paid Jobs
Room Attendant and Receptionist
Salary Range per Month: SGD 1,304 – SGD 1,797 (USD 942 – USD 1,300) a month
With billions of tourists visiting Singapore each year, most of them are demanding, and there are fewer servers to attend to them. There are usually no requirements but some hotels are looking for training certificates. Some attendants and receptionists also do jobs from other departments due to under-staffing.
Salary Range per Month: SGD 1,200 to SGD 1,800 (USD 867 – USD 1,800) a month
They take care of the clients’ hands and even massage their feet while building a good customer relationship. With hard work and valuable skills to do nail, hand and feet treatment, some clients still become irate. Of course, nail technicians still have to keep a smile despite the demands and mood of the customers.
Service Crew and Waiter
Salary Range per Month: SGD 1,000 – SGD 1,835 (USD 723 – USD 1,326) a month
Keeping a restaurant tidy and going smoothly is no joke especially if the shop is understaffed. A service crew takes and serves orders, cleans and sets tables, and even handles the cash register. There are no requirements for this kind of job, but under-staffing entails that you won’t have holidays.
Salary Range per Month: SGD 1,025 – SGD 1,347 (USD 741 – USD 974) a month
Most Singaporeans will not take this job, it pays less and the work itself is dirty. On average the income is USD 700 for half-days. They vacuum, sweep, mop, dust, and clean comfort rooms. Most Singaporeans would rather let the foreigners take this job.
Salary Range per Month: SGD 450 to SGD 1500 (USD 325 – USD 1,084) a month
It is no fun to work under the scorching heat of the sun, especially if the pay is low. It is a manual labor that requires physical strength. A construction worker earns USD 450 to USD 1500 depending on the skills and experience.
It does not need a detective work to see why Singaporeans are not into these jobs. Job vacancies may be high, but working for low wages is not enticing at all.
Getting a job is vital wherever you are. The salaries may vary, but at the end of the day, your survival will greatly depend on how you handle your finances. And whichever job you get, remember that with motivation, dedication and hard work everything will pay off.
Latest posts by Cash Mart Singapore (see all)
- 5 Ways Retail Stores Can Fight the Booming E-Commerce - September 6, 2017
- Moneylender Review: Where to Find Low Interest Money Lender in Singapore - August 23, 2017
- What to Do If Your Credit and Debit Card is Lost or Stolen? - August 9, 2017
- 6 New Startup Schemes in Singapore for 2017 - July 25, 2017
- How to Escape the Social Status Trap - July 18, 2017