Have a family but do not want to live away from your parents?
No worries, HBD has created housing schemes for this purpose. 3Gen flats are designed to meet the needs of multi-generation families.
You can take care of your parents’ needs or they can help out looking after your kids while you are at work. Whatever is the purpose, the government gives compensation to those who choose to stay with their family.
The 3gen Flat floor plan has four bedrooms. Two of these rooms have attached bathrooms. There is also a common bathroom. There is a kitchen, a living/dining room, a service yard and a storage room which is also the apartment shelter.
Share this Image On Your Site
Who can apply for the 3Gen Flats?
3Gen Flats are offered to engaged, newly married, widowed or divorced with a child. You can now easily find a home to live with your parents or near them. Under the Multi-generation Priority Scheme, you are given the priority of being granted a new HDB home.
Take note that either you or your fiancé/spouse must be a Singapore Citizen and you must live with one of your [parents who is also a Singapore citizen or permanent resident. Your parents must stay with you for five consecutive years (Minimum Occupation Period). If you just want to live near your parents, you must apply for a flat in the same town or within 2km away.
Facts to Know
You can’t sell your 3Gen flat during the first five years of purchase. This is the Minimum Occupation Period (MOP). You cannot even sublet it to someone else. Also, your parents must stay together with you. If you are only staying near your parents, you or your parents can apply for a 2 room flexi or bigger. After the MOP, you can then let someone rent a room.
Also, after MOP, you can finally sell the flat if you want to move out. However, you can only sell your 3Gen to other eligible multi-generation families.
If this is the first time you are buying a resale flat, you can go on and apply for the Housing Grant for Family or the Half-Housing Grant. This way, the CPF can subsidize up to $40,000.
Why would you want to get a 3Gen flat?
- You can take care of your parents who are already retired. This is especially important if your parents have existing health conditions. If you are especially close to your parents, this makes a closer family ties between them and your children and spouse.
- Your parents (if they are willing and able) can look after your kids while you are at work. They can bond together and you will feel more at peace knowing that your children is under good care.
- If you are not sure if your application for a flat will be granted, then with Multi-generation Priority Scheme, your application will be prioritize. The Housing Board has launched 1,100 units of 3Gen flats since it was launched in 2013
If you already have your new flat and you want to buy needed furniture to make it cozier, you can get a personal loan from Cash Mart.
Latest posts by Cash Mart Singapore (see all)
- A Cheat Sheet in Improving Your Credit Score - October 12, 2017
- 10 Popular Part Time Jobs in Singapore - October 9, 2017
- 10 Steps to Take When Buying a House in Singapore - October 6, 2017
- Finding Jobs in Singapore: 5 Tips to Land Your Dream Job - October 3, 2017
- 5 Ways Retail Stores Can Fight the Booming E-Commerce - September 6, 2017